2.06.2012

BIRTHDAY WEEKEND

Dun, dun, dun, I'm 23!  All of a sudden it's hitting me - what the heck am I doing with my life?  I think my quarter-life crisis is coming a few years early.  The only thing exciting about my birthday was that it happened to fall on the same weekend as Punahou Carnival and First Friday.   It was a bit weird being back at Carnival again.  It definitely made me miss high school.  Besides watching my brother perform in Variety Show, I did the usual...spent too many hours in the White Elephant booth scouring for vintage knick knacks and books, threw my money away trying to win stuffed animals at the EK Fernandez booths, and ate one too many malasadas.  I think next year, if I'm still home, I would want to volunteer to work at one of the booths.  Face painting, perhaps?

I also went to First Friday with a couple of friends as a pre-birthday celebration.  First Friday always guarantees a great night of fun.  One of the bars had a rave going on and we got free glowsticks and glasses.  I'm not much of a dancing person, but after a few drinks I will loosen up.  By the end of the night, I think I finally understood the appeal of dubstep.  Afterwards, we ended up at Zippy's to sober up and ended up staying there for hours just talking.  Why do all the best conversations happen late at night?  This was definitely one of the best nights I had in a while.