6.16.2012

KRAZY FOR KOKO HEAD?





Even though I've done the Koko Head Trail three times before I always find myself questioning why I am doing it and this time was no exception.  It also could have been that I had been out late the night  before and had barely slept and was a bit dehydrated.  Incidentally, it was my bizzaro state of mind that thought it would be a great idea to go hiking the next day.  Why I decided to do Koko Head is beyond me.  At least I had my booze crew along with me to tackle the death stairs together (except I was the only one feeling the after effects of the night before).  This trail is definitely a mind over matter march to the top.  The first half is a breeze but then the tracks suddenly turn into an almost straight vertical arch.  It's like being on the ultimate StairMasters that's out to kick your butt and boy it did.  But, I made it and my legs felt like jelly but the view at the top makes it all worth it in the end.  The great thing about this hike is that it's very short and anybody of all fitness levels can do it.  A lot of people use the stairs as a work out and sometimes I'll see people going up and down multiple times while I'm there.  There's one guy who even goes back down the stairs backwards.  Crazy.  Afterwards we ate at Teddy's Bigger Burgers, my favorite burger joint on the east side of the island and the only way to refuel after a hike.