3.24.2014

PU'U MA'ELI'ELI DIGGING HILL

The one thing I love most about being home is hiking. It's incredible how amazing Mother Nature is, especially in Hawaii. This hike I went with one of my best friends Clay. He mentioned a hike in Kaneohe where that was a WWII bunker at the top that offered a panoramic view of the east side of the island. I am always down to go on new hikes, so we decided to go early in the morning in order to catch those glorious morning rays. Good thing I am slightly still jet lagged and Hawaii is 3 hours behind of Seattle, so waking up at 6 am was pretty easy. It was a pretty short hike, but with a lot of steep, rolling hills that we were huffing and puffing by the time we got to the top. But my god, when I saw the bunker in my sight, I started running towards it and suddenly all I saw was miles of pristine, blue ocean in front of me. The Ko'olau mountain range was to the left, and also peeking like a small mountain in the middle of the ocean was Chinaman's Hat in the distance. We ended up staying at the top for quite a while soaking it all in. This is a pretty hidden trail, so we didn't encounter anyone during our time hiking. I wouldn't have it any other way.